James Island Public Service District’s current Fire Department Headquarters 1 located on Camp Road was built in 1961. While the location has served the Island very well, the building is too small and no longer satisfies the needs of a modern Fire Department. Fire Department Headquarters 1 is the busiest and most centrally located Fire Station on the Island.
Relocating Fire Department Headquarters 1 will allow JIPSD to improve services to the residents of the Island.
The JIPSD Fire Department Headquarters 1 is an approximately 12,400 gross square feet single-story station. It will sit on an 1.5 acre site on Folly Road at Prescott Street two feet above the base flood elevation. The station is designed to reflect the lowcountry Sea Island character of James Island, and to complement the beautiful oak trees protected on the site. Active and passive sustainability features are being planned, and the site will feature best practices in low-impact development and stormwater management. In accordance with the International Building Code, the station is structurally designed as a Category IV Essential Facility, and will have impact-rated glazing at all openings. The station includes the following components:
- Three (3) double-stack apparatus bays with bi-fold doors
- Apparatus support spaces including personal protective equipment (PPE) storage, general and medical supply/EMS storage, decontamination space and equipment, and a cascade for compressed breathing air
- A 32-seat training classroom for James Island Fire Department and associated restrooms and storage
- Fire Department administration offices (Fire Chief and two Deputy Chiefs)
- Battalion Chief and Captain Offices
- A bunk room with privacy cubicles for 8 bunks
- Three gender-neutral shower/toilet rooms
- Firefighter living quarters including kitchen, dining, and dayroom
- Emergency generator
Construction is anticipated to begin in Summer 2019!
|November 4, 2019||Groundbreaking Ceremony held|
|August 2018||JIPSD Commission votes in favor to proceed with funding for the relocation of Fire Department Headquarters 1.|
|January 2018||JIPSD Commission unanimously votes in favor to give the JIPSD Administrator and an attorney the latitude to negotiate any steps needed to acquire the properties for Fire Department Headquarters 1.|
|October 2017||JIPSD Commission unanimously votes in favor to proceed with obtaining appraisals on three properties on Folly Road that could support the relocation of Fire Department Headquarters 1. JIPSD Commission also unanimously votes in favor to give the JIPSD Administrator and an attorney the latitude to negotiate any steps needed to acquire the properties for Fire Department Headquarters 1.|
|September 2017||JIPSD Commission unanimously votes in favor to have staff proceed with acquiring the future site of Fire Department Headquarters 1.|
|Spring 2016-Spring 2018||Charleston County Roadwise project for improvements on the Folly at Camp Intersection occurs causing several safety issues to the station including:
· Reduced the station’s ramp area in front of the station nearly in half;
· Caused emergency response vehicles to no longer be able to pull out of the front of the station;
· Removed the shoulder of the road leaving motorists nowhere to pull off the roadway, out of emergency vehicles way;
· Forces the ladder truck to pull out and block two and one half of the lanes on Camp Road in order to exit the property.
|June 2015||JIPSD Commission votes in favor to place the relocation of Fire Department Headquarters 1 on the Capital Improvements Plan in FY 2016 Budget.|
|1961-2018||Fire Department Headquarters 1 develops into the busiest Fire Station on James Island.|
|December 1961||Fire Department Headquarters 1 located at 1622 Camp Road officially became operational.|
|July 29, 2019||Demolition of homes on property|
|August – December 2018||Design Development Phase and Estimating/Review|
|December 2018 – April 2019||Construction Document Phase and Estimating/Review|
|May – June 2019||Permitting and Bidding|
|Summer 2019||Construction Begins|
|Summer/Fall 2020||Construction Completes|
JIPSD – Serving, Protecting & Connecting with our Community
In keeping with our commitment to serving our community, the JIPSD teamed up with Habitat for Humanity to reclaim building materials from the two buildings situated on the new Fire Department Headquarters 1 site. Crews assisted Habitat for Humanity in reclaiming items such as doors, windows, light fixtures, even HVAC units, all of which will be sold at their RECLAIM store, with all profits from the sale going to help the community. Special thanks to the crews that assisted, as well as the Habitat for Humanity volunteers who came out, everyone worked hard and accomplished so much.